If you been reading Papers Of Thought for quite some time you probably know that we are huge advocates of living a healthy lifestyle and always invite people to start building their foundation, their core values. Not just their ideologies but their body habits as well.
A part of this foundation aside from fitness is
Following previous articles like this or this, I would like to discuss what to eat depending on your goals. You see I’m of the opinion that nutrition fuels your body. Food is not just a mean to and end. We don’t just accomplish the end of hunger but furthermore we energize our bodies with the right nutrients in order to be fully active, alive and vibrant.
Before going any further I want to pinpoint the biggest components which play a vital role in your journey towards building a foundation or the shape you want:
- Training Style: They way you are currently training may not be suitable for your goals. You may need to change something like your cardio or weight training. You might want to lose fat and the current program you are following isn’t helping you out. You will have to make the proper adjustments in order for your training to fit your plan.
- Current Nutrition: What is your nutrition like? Do you eat like crap? Do you want to gain muscle but you don’t eat enough protein? Do you want to get lean but refuse to cut carbs down or adjust your fats? Are you eating enough carbs to get a good pump in the gym? You should follow a diet plan based on the 5 Goal Categories listed below.
- Money: Money is an essential part of any lifestyle. You can use them for drugs, alcohol, smoke etc or you can invest in a healthier lifestyle. You see if you are wealthy you can eat the best foods, at any given point time, with the best ingredients and maybe have somebody cook it for you. On the other hand, if money isn’t exactly falling out of your pockets than you have to make the best possible food choices, e.g find the best offers, go out and search at your local flea market for quality foods at a reasonable price, create a stellar nutrition plan on basic stuff and work with what you have.
- Time: Paying mind to your nutrition takes time. At the beginning of this journey, this might seem like a tough thing to do. I mean learning when to eat, what to eat and how to cook and sticking to it isn’t for everybody. But as time goes by and you delve more and more into this lifestyle then you will find everything to be a lot easier.
- Parents: If you are living with your parents you will need to adjust. Talk to them. Share with them your vision and what you want to achieve. They might fully support you or not. A transformation is very important to you and if people around you can’t comprehend with that easily, then you need to make them understand it. One way or another. I have friends, many of which stay with their parents. They follow the diet their parents follow and that pulls them away from the end result. Go out there and find the foods you want to eat and are compatible with your goals. Spend some of your pocket money and buy foods that will supplement your nutrition. If it is important to you, you’ll find a way.
- Genetics: The DNA structure we are created with, plays the most important role in whatever we do. It is the vessel that the Creator put us in. If you are a genetic freak you might eat like shit and still have an amazing body. If you have a bad genetic structure it may take a lot more to create the ideal body or lifestyle you want. Understand this. Genetics are key to how much sleep you need, or how fast you build muscle or how fast you lose weight. Nevertheless, you must never make an excuse out of genetics. Genetics only, won’t get you very far. You need to put in the work, the effort, day in and day out to get where you want to go.
- Weight-Height: Same with genetics your weight and height are essentials points for any nutrition plan and body transformation. Track your body weight to know at times where you are and where you will like to head. Height..well you really can do much about it. You are either tall or short.
- Metabolism: The Case of Metabolism to this day makes scientists’ heads spin and go into deep research. You see some people are born with a ”bad” metabolism and others with a ”good” one. But in a lifetime, a boy who was a fat kid, may grow up to be a lean and built man. Plus metabolism changes depending on the nutrition you are following. If you eat 10 burgers, 10 fries, and 10 coca colas every single day and putting all this extra food and energy to your body then you will probably store it as fat and slow your metabolism down.
- Sleep: While focusing on bettering your nutrition and fitness, one must never ignore the importance of sleep. Sleeping and resting your body, is the father of the two previous topics. Without sleep, our natural hormones cannot function at a normal level and that has an immediate effect on food breakdown, calorie assessment, mood stability, body composition. Plus all the muscle fibers you have broken down in training might be restored with food but the stronger restoration happens the hours we spend sleeping. These are the ones rebuilding and recreating your muscle and nervous system.
- Age: Your age is another important component. While I say that you need to instill healthy nutrition and fitness habits from a young age, older people must focus a lot more on their health and nutrition while younger folks might be able to get away with a few ”disloyalties”.
With that being said I would categorize the top 5 Nutritional Goals:
- Healthy Lifestyle
- Gain Weight-Muscle Mass
- Lose Weight
- Get Lean-Ripped
- Athletic Performance
- Power Foods & Cheat Meals-Cheat Days